CSMIO/IP-M 4-axis Motion Controller (STEP/DIR), Ethernet
CSMIO/IP-M is a 4-axis motion controller. In combination with a PC and control software (simCNC, Mach3, Mach4) it’s an ideal system for CNC machines control. CSMIO/IP-M was designed for professionals, CNC automation manufacturers, retrofit specialists, and hobbyists, who want to equip their machine tool with efficient, stable and flexible CNC control system. CSMIO/IP-M is for those who need as accurate and reliable controller as his bigger brother CSMIO/IP-S spending much less money (more about CSMIO/IP-M supported features you can read below).
How does it work?
In short – control software (simCNC, Mach3, Mach4) installed on a PC is the brain and CSMIO/IP-M controller is the heart of the entire control system. Control software (simCNC, Mach3, Mach4) changes gcodes into motion trajectory and sends it through the network connection to the CSMIO/IP-M. Basing on the trajectory the controller generates accurate step/dir signal for all axes. This division of tasks makes the PC is less loaded than if using classic parallel LPT port.
What are the main advantages of CSMIO/IP-M controller?
Main and Special Features
Who is recommended to use CSMIO/IP-M controller?
What’s included in the CSMIO/IP-M box?
Control software & Firmware and updates
Operation Stability provided by connection with PC via Ethernet – its physical layer is galvanically isolated, used protocols provide reliable and fast transmission even in a tough industrial environment). Practically any other interfaces do not provide continuity and reliability of transmission on such high-level as ETHERNET. That is why it is currently the worldwide standard for high-speed digital communication.
Easy installation – one of the biggest advantages of CSMIO/IP-M is the simplicity of installation. It does not require any external electronics for correct operation. Inputs/outputs signals are optically isolated, filtered, protected against short circuit, overheating etc. All signals are adapted to industry 24V standard. The device is enclosed in a compact housing, mounted on a DIN-rail, what makes mechanical and electronic installation in a control cabinet takes less time and is even easier.
CSMIO/IP-M controller works with simCNC and Mach3/Mach4 software because of its low price, popularity and enormous capability to adapt to specific requirements. As for control signal, the choice is the popular step/direction (step/dir) standard. This way you can control both – stepper motor drives and the most modern servo drives. Thanks to the frequency of stop signal that reaches up to 125KHz you can apply adequate stepper division in stepper motors the same reducing resonance and significantly improving the performance of a propulsion system. It also provides full advantage of encoders with an average number of pulses per rotation (10.000 p/rev) and a large number of pulses per rotation using only small electronic ratio.
The main advantages of CSMIO/IP-M controller
- Step/dir signal – after the first run of a CNC machine equipped with the CSMIO/IP-M controller you will notice how smooth and precise is the work of your motors. It’s thanks to high-quality step/dir signal and data buffer which stores a small part of trajectory sent by control software (simCNC, Mach3, Mach4).
- Data buffer – the mentioned trajectory buffer provides uninterrupted operation of a CNC machine, even in case of temporary problems with network connection or software control.
- Slave axis support – one slave axis support (without gantry geometry correction).
- Safety system – very important advantage of CSMIO/IP-M controller is its own safety system. It constantly watches over the safety of a user and a machine. It consists of many independent algorithms and watchdogs which react very fast in case of forbidden or alarm situations. RESET support for axis drives. Support of FAULT signals from servo drives (immediate stop of a machine in case of any axis accident).
- Solid aluminum housing, which dissipates heat and protects electronic circuits very well. Readable led controls on a front panel which make it easier to install and simplify diagnostics in case of any problems with switches or another external device that cooperate with CSMIO/IP-M.
- VB macros – you can control all digital and analog signals using VisualBasic macros.
- Industry standard – CSMIO/IP-M controller is adapted to worldwide standards applied by servo and stepper drives manufacturers, including:
- step/dir outputs supported by differential line transmitters DS26C31 (RS422 standard compliant)
- opto-isolated 24VDC digital outputs supported by specialized systems with protection against short-circuit and overload.
- opto-isolated 24VDC digital inputs
- 0-10V analog inputs used to connect potentiometers of spindle rotation speed correction and axis feed rate.
- 0-10V analog outputs used i.e. for VFD control.
You can expand CSMIO/IP-M controller features using CSMIO-MPG expansion module for manual axes operation and handwheel encoder. It provides very smooth control of machine motion, automatic switching between speed and position modes.
CSMIO-ENC and CSMIO-IO are not supported by CSMIO/IP-M controller.
The housing of the CSMIO/IP-M controller and all the expansion modules is adapted to DIN 35mm rail mounting.